Well Said!

This used to be a blog dedicated to my graduate studies. Now I see that the answers do not lie in perpetual higher education, but there is still plenty of wisdom to be had in the words of others.

Monday, May 30, 2005

Neil Peart on Belief

“Sure, I still wonder. As infuriating and senseless as organized religion seems, and with all the abuses of the evangelists and fanatics, I am still intrigued by the romance, the ritual, and the security of a Higher Power. Like most everyone, I’d like to believe in something larger than life, especially for those times when life seems small and mean. But after I’ve admired the poetry of the King James Bible, appreciated the peaceful wisdom of Buddhism, recoiled from a vengeful Allah or God, wondered about the secret societies of Freemasons and Illuminati, in the end I return to reality, and believe in Life. And that seems good to me.

I can worship Nature, and that fulfills my need for miracles and beauty. Art gives a spiritual depth to existence – I can find worlds bigger and deeper than my own in music, paintings, and books. And from my friends and family I receive the highest benediction, emotional contact and personal affirmation. I can bow before the works of Man, from buildings to babies, and that fulfills my need for wonder. I can believe in the sanctity of Life, and that becomes the Revealed Word, to live my life as I believe it should be, not as I’m told to by self-appointed guides.” (pp. 108-109)


“All dogma aside, it is nakedly humane and truly compassionate not to want people to suffer, whether or not someone says it is “God’s will.” That must be the simplest of truths, the kind that can only be contested by people who place dogma above life, and those are the people, whether communist, fascist, Muslim, or Catholic, who must represent the enemy to those of us who worship Life and the supreme good, and the supreme god. Or to those of us who just want to enjoy it.” (p. 113)


From Masked Rider

1 Comments:

Blogger Prog Talker said...

Well said as the author penned on the headline.

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home