Well Said!

This used to be a blog dedicated to my graduate studies. Now I see that the answers do not lie in perpetual higher education, but there is still plenty of wisdom to be had in the words of others.

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Thomas Jefferson on Religion

From Thomas Jefferson's letter to Mrs. H. Harrison Smith in 1816, this:

"I never told my own religion or scrutinized that of another. I never attempted to make a convert, nor wished to change another's creed. I am satisfied that yours must be an excellent religion to have produced a life of such exemplary virtue and correctness. For it is in our lives, and not from our words, that our religion must be judged."

1 Comments:

Blogger freethoughtguy said...

Another Thomas Jefferson quote on religion:

"I have recently been examining al the known superstitions of the world, and I do not find in our particular superstition (Christianity) one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded upon fables and mythologies. The Christian God is a being of terrific character -- cruel, vindictive, capricious, and unjust."

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home